Life of Pi: Adrift but not lost

A friend loaned me her copy of Life of Pi. A very enjoyable book! I'm not revealing anything more than the book cover when I say that Pi manages to survive following a shipwreck on a lifeboat he must share with a full-grown tiger. Strong threads of plausibility and the author's vivid language and imagination made the story work for me.

Life of PiI liked Pi's return-question, when he's being challenged about the truthfulness of his account: Which is the better story? Pi himself knows that his words are hard to fathom. He could bow to expectations, compose an alternate version, one that might sound more like what other people expect. But, he says:
The world isn't just the way it is. It is how we understand it, no? And in understanding something, we bring something to it, no? Doesn't that make life a story?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A "Pope of the Living Dead" Moment

What future? I don't even wear a watch.